Death Notices submitted to KWE
Names Starting with "M"

Close this window

Machcinski, Dr. Victor A.

Dr. Victor A. Machinski Sr., surgeon, musician, athlete and family man, passed peacefully from this earth while in the loving arms of his family on Thursday, May 11, 2006. Known affectionately as ''Dr. Vic'' by his Hospice aides, Dr. Machcinski gracefully and courageously lived with cancer for several years until age 82. He is survived by his beloved and dedicated wife of fifty-eight years, Barbara Weeks Machcinski.

Dr. Machcinski was born in Brooklyn, New York on December 8, 1923, son of the late Stephen and Charlotte Machcinski. An all-around athlete, vice president of the Class of 1941 and Colgate Cup recipient for excellence in scholarship and athleticism at Poly Prep School in Brooklyn, he went on to be a Dean's List student at Yale University where he was a star pitcher of the baseball team. Dr. Machcinski pitched exhibition games for Yale against the Philadelphia Phillies, Brooklyn Dodgers and Boston Braves, played semi-pro baseball, and was scouted by major leagues. However, medicine was the stronger calling.

After accelerating his study at Yale because of World War II, he graduated with the Yale College Class of 1945 and then from Yale Medical School in 1947. Following his internship at Grace-New Haven (Connecticut) Community Hospital and a surgical residency at New Britain (Connecticut) General Hospital, he served in Korea with the U.S. Army, Medical Corps, 32nd Infantry, attaining the rank of Captain.

While in Korea he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service, Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant, and Combat Medical Badge. His enjoyment of every moment of life, his calmness under pressure, and his ability to handle medical traumas inspired all who knew him. He saved many lives while in Korea, working ahead of the MASH Units to stabilize patients for further treatment.

During thirty-one years of medical practice at Danbury Hospital (Danbury, Connecticut), he earned the highest regard of his peers and love of his patients. He was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and held several prominent offices and chairmanships, including Chairman of the Medical Staff at Danbury Hospital and President of the Fairfield County Medical Association. He pioneered new methods of surgical stapling and was the doctor to whom all the most difficult burn victims were sent. More than once he resuscitated someone on a tennis court or a sidewalk. He showed endless patience and compassion treating the injured and sick.

He was also a devoted and generous husband, friend and father, who was wise with his counsel, eternally optimistic and strong in spirit, with a quick wit and keen sense of humor. He was always a man you could count on, both in his professional and private life.

Born into a musical family, where his parents and brothers, Stephen and Richard, each played the piano or violin, Victor became an accomplished pianist as a teenager. He performed difficult solo pieces in concert at Poly Prep, including the Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor, and he was known to liven up many school meetings with his brilliant playing. He might have become a concert pianist if medicine had not captured his interest. Instead, he used music as his release and inspiration. Chopin was his first love and lifetime muse, but he also loved jazz, show tunes and ragtime, as his playing days with the Dixieland ''Band Aids'' will attest. Vic could play endlessly from memory and delighted his family and friends with countless hours at the piano. No gathering was complete without his passionate and seemingly effortless playing.

Dr. Machcinski retired in 1985 and lived in West Chatham, Massachusetts with his wife, Barbara, for more than twenty years, most of which saw him active and engaged in local activities. He enjoyed golf and tennis, his membership in the Retired Men's Club (for which he served as pianist for many years), and his volunteer work for the Town of Chatham, including service as Town Representative to the Regional Transit Authority, and Director of the Council on Aging.

He was an avid reader who enjoyed both current events and the classics, and in recent years he became skilled with his home computer and use of the Internet. His primary joy, however, was his home and family. He regularly traveled to visit his four children and eight grandchildren, and he was tireless and selfless in his devotion to them.

In addition to his beloved wife, he is survived by his loving son, Victor A. Machcinski, Jr. and his wife Mary Ellen, of Stamford, Connecticut, and three loving daughters, Robin M. Prechter and her husband Robert, of Gainesville, Georgia, Katja Machcinski of Ashland, OR and Lauren M. Mazur and her husband Richard, of Dublin, Ohio. He has four grandsons, Elliott Prechter, Richard and Stephen Mazur, and Scott Machcinski, and four granddaughters, Dana Prechter, Meaghan and Caitlin Machcinski, and Victoria Mazur. He also has one nephew, Stephen A. Machcinski, III, and three nieces, Donna Petersen, Carol Santora, and Victoria Brenha.

He will live forever in our hearts, in the beautiful example he left us of an extraordinary life well-lived. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Tuesday, May 16, 10:00 A.M. at Holy Redeemer Church, Highland Avenue, Chatham, MA, with burial to follow at 12:45 P.M., Bourne National Cemetery, Bourne, MA. The family will receive friends at the Nickerson Funeral Home, 87 Crowell Road, Chatham on Monday, May 15, from 5-8 P.M., with a memorial tribute at 7 P.M. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made in Dr. Machcinski's name to Hospice and Palliative Care of Cape Cod, 270 Communication Way, Hyannis, Massachusetts 02601 (

Mackenzie, George R.

From the Seventh Marines message board 12/27/05: "Roger King reports that George Mackenzie suffered a massive heart attack and died instantly."  George was an A/1/7 veteran of the Chosin Reservoir campaign. The family address is 10218 Cemetery Road, Pecatonica, IL 61063-9013.

Macy, Jack Edward

Jack Edward Macy, born December 6, 1929, died February 11, 2009.  He was a resident of Oakland, CA.  Jack, born to Arthur and Anna Macy, was the youngest of seven and is survived by his sister Bobbie Reginato and pre-deceased by Edna (Lane), Harold, Dorothy (Cronin), Charles and Arthur. He married Jean Mickleburgh, the love of his life, on June 12, 1955. Jack was the beloved father of Anna (Crvarich), Kevin, Matthew, Nancy (Levey) and Mark. He was a devoted, adoring and loving grandfather to Timothy, Lisa, Jack, Miles, Neil, Jacquelynn, Brian, Janie, Maggie, Reed and Riley. He was a wonderful father-in-law to John, Clare, Melanie, Bill, and Kirstin; a grandfather-in-law to Maura; and a caring uncle to many nieces and nephews. Jack was a surrogate father, mentor, and loyal friend to so many and all brought such joy and pride to his life. He attended Saint Mary's College High School and remained an active alumnus until his death.

Jack was an honored member of the United States Marine Corps, listed as one of the most decorated soldiers of the Korean War, receiving a Purple Heart, Silver Star and Distinguished Service Cross.  He was a member of the Legion of Valor and former member of G-3-5 Marines in Korea.

Jack was the owner of Macy Movers (founded by his father in 1915), where he worked six days a week until his death. Jack was a past president of the California Moving & Storage Association, the National Defense Transportation Association, and the Oakland Traffic Club and an active agent of Atlas Van Lines. Jack was very active in the community with benefactors including Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, the American Heart Association, the Alameda Community Food Bank, the Cerebral Palsy Center, the Alameda County Blood Bank, and St. Lawrence O'Toole, just to name a few.

Jack was a man that dedicated his life to the service of country, family, friends, community and through all, found time to have fun and enjoy life to its fullest until the very end. He will be missed by so many. A mass will be held at St. Lawrence O'Toole Church, located at 3725 High Street in Oakland on Friday February 20th at 11 a.m. and a celebration in honor of his life immediately following. Those wishing to donate in his memory, please do so to your favorite charity or Hanna Boy Center, Sonoma, CA.

Maglione, Ralph J.

Major General Ralph J. Maglione, director of Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, died July 15, 1990.

General Maglione was born in Akron, Ohio, in 1926; attended Kent State University from 1946 to 1949; received a bachelor of arts degree from the University of Maryland in 1964, and a master's degree in international affairs from The George Washington University in 1968; and graduated from the National War College in 1968.

He entered the aviation cadet program in July 1949 and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and received his pilot wings in 1950, upon graduation at Williams Air Force Base, Ariz. General Maglione was named a distinguished graduate and awarded a Regular commission for his outstanding performance during the training program.

His first assignment following pilot training was with the 27th Fighter Escort Wing, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas. In November 1950 his wing deployed to Korea, where General Maglione flew 104 combat missions in F-84E aircraft.

General Maglione returned to Bergstrom from Korea and in 1956 set an overwater distance record for single-engine fighter aircraft when he flew his F-84F nonstop from Royal Air Force Station Sturgate, England, to Austin, Texas. That same year, General Maglione was selected to be a member of the Strategic Air Command's gunnery team in the annual United States Fighter Weapons Meet at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.

In 1958, when the 27th Fighter Escort Wing converted to the F-101A Voodoo, General Maglione demonstrated the aircraft at the International Air Show in Liege, Belgium, after flying nonstop from Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland, to Liege. This nonstop flight set an unofficial world speed record.

In January 1959, General Maglione was assigned to the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Station Bentwaters, England, where he flew the F-101 as flight commander and operations officer with the 78th and 92d tactical fighter squadrons. From November 1962 to July 1965, he was assigned as an action officer in the Officer Assignments Division, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. During this assignment, he completed requirements for his bachelor of arts degree in economics at the University of Maryland.

He was commander/leader of the U.S. Air Force's Aerial Demonstration Team, the Thunderbirds, from July 1965 to July 1967, during which time the team performed throughout the world. In August 1967 he entered the National War College, Washington, D.C., and received his master's degree from The George Washington University.

General Maglione was chief, House of Representatives Liaison Office, Office of Legislative Liaison, in the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, from July 1968 until April 1971. He then became commander of the 3525th Pilot Training Wing, Williams Air Force Base, Arizona.

General Maglione was assigned as director of personnel, Military Assistance Command Vietnam from September 1972 until March 1973, and assumed duty as chief, Operations and Plans Division of the Defense Attache Office, Saigon, Republic of Vietnam, after the disestablishment of MACV.  He was assigned to the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force as deputy director of Legislative Liaison in June 1974 and became director in August 1974.

He is a command pilot with more than 5,500 flying hours. His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Commendation Medal, Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation Emblem, and Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon with oak leaf cluster.

He was promoted to the grade of major general September 1, 1974, with date of rank May 1, 1972.  He retired February 01,1977.

Maloy, Curtis Raymond Sr.

Graveside services will be held for Curtis Maloy Sr., 86, Clinton (Oklahoma) businessman for more than 70 years, at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Arapaho Cemetery.  He died Wednesday, August 15, 2018, in his Clinton home.

Curtis Raymond Maloy Sr. was born November 30, 1931, to Ted Maloy and Bernice (Hardin) Maloy in Clinton. He was raised in Clinton and attended Clinton schools. He enlisted in the U.S. Army National Guard in 1948 during his junior year of high school, and also worked with his father in the heating and air business while in high school. He graduated from high school in 1949.

After graduation Maloy enlisted in the U.S. Army and served two years in Korea. He earned the rank of sergeant before receiving an honorable discharge in September of 1952. He received numerous honors while in the military including the Combat Infantry Badge, Korean Service Medal with Bronze Star, Army Occupation Medal in Japan, the United Nations Service Medal, and he was one of the very few to receive the Soldier’s Medal for Heroism.

In 1968 he married Lorretta Ann (Horrel) Wells in Clinton, and later married Treva (Isabel) Williams in 1979, also in Clinton.

After his military service Maloy returned to western Oklahoma and settled in Clinton, where he continued his career in the heating and air business. He was still servicing customers in western Oklahoma up until his death.

Maloy was an active member of the American Legion and served in many capacities. His hobby was his work. He was a longtime member of the Custer Avenue Baptist Church, where he helped lead singing. Along with others in the church he sang at many funerals and at local nursing homes and at the Clinton Veterans Center.

Maloy was preceded in death by his wife; his parents; a step-mother, Zella Maloy; and a brother, Ted Maloy. Survivors include his son, Curtis Maloy Jr., and wife Lori, and their son Cole, all of Shawnee; a step-son, Robert Williams and wife Euridice of Saint Croix, Virgin Islands; a step-daughter, Cylinda Nonast and husband Rodney of Cordell; and two brothers, Lynn Maloy and wife Louise of Arapaho and Bob Haney and wife Sharon of San Antonio, Texas. He is also survived by eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Maloy, Ted Lyle

Ted Lyle Maloy, Lieutenant Colonel, United States Army, 87, passed away on September 13, 2017 in Texas, due to complications from vascular dementia. He was born on April 24, 1930 in Clinton, Oklahoma, a son of Ted and Bernice Hardin Maloy. He was a devoted husband, father, brother, and grandfather.

Ted grew up in Clinton as "Ted Jr." with his younger brothers Curtis, Lynn and Bob. They loved to get into any kind of trouble possible and were very good at it. Ted spent time at the family farm in Arapaho and summers at the local swimming pool where he was a lifeguard. He became an accomplished platform and springboard diver.

At age 17 after high school, he enlisted in the US Army 45th Infantry Division and was deployed to the Korean War. Having served as a frontline artillery commander and receiving numerous merit awards, he finished his active duty and came back to Oklahoma. He went to college on the GI Bill at Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford, Oklahoma, and it was there that he met his future wife of 62 years, Paula.

Soon after their marriage they moved to Ponca City, where Ted worked for Conoco Oil. Meanwhile, Ted remained active in the 45th Infantry Reserve Guard unit. Ted and Paula had two children, Mark and Kittie, and during summers the family spent vacations visiting relatives in Oklahoma or Albuquerque, New Mexico, where Ted instructed Army reserve training. In 1974, Ted transferred to Houston with Conoco, where they remained.
He loved being with his family, whether it was rebuilding their classic Ford Mustangs with Mark in the garage, or listening to Kittie practice the piano. He helped Mark start his lawn care equipment business and, with Paula, spent many years doing whatever was needed at the shop. He could fix anything and it wasn't uncommon to find him in the garage at midnight working on a car engine.

Retiring from Conoco in 1985 and from the Army reserve in 1990, he stayed active in the Korean War Veterans Association--Lone Star Chapter, participating in the Color Guard, representing them at numerous military funerals held at Houston National Cemetery. While he accomplished many things over the years, his life was defined by his military service and it was his proudest achievement.

Ted will be loved forever and never forgotten. He endured his long struggle with PTSD and dementia with courage and dignity.

Ted was preceded in death by his wife, Paula, in January 2017, and by his parents and his beloved stepmother, Zella Maloy. He is survived by his son Mark Maloy (Dianne); daughter Kittie Gugenheim (Kevin); grandchildren Eric Maloy (Mimi), Paige Maloy, Chase Gugenheim, and Jordan Gugenheim; brothers Curtis (Treva), Lynn (Louise), and Bob Haney (Sharon); and brother-in-law Ron Hensley (Wanda).

He was buried in the Houston National Cemetery with full military honors. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Alzheimer's Association or the Wounded Warrior Project in memory of Ted L. Maloy.

Mancuso, James E.

James E. Mancuso, age 78, of Reedsville, West Virginia passed away on Thursday, July 6, 2006 at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown.  Cremation services will be provided by Field Funeral Home in Masontown.  A graveside service will be held at the Veterans National Cemetery in Pruntytown, West Virginia at 11:00 a.m. Monday, July 10, 2006 with full military graveside rites.

He was born February 29, 1928, in Smithfield, Ohio, a son of the late Antonio and Grace Huff Mancuso.  He was a member of the Calvary Baptist Church. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army where he served in the Korean War with the 25th Infantry Division. He was honored with the a purple heart, 5 bronze stars, one silver star, Expert Infantry Badge, and the Korean Service Medal. He was a member of the American Legion and was very active in veteran affairs. He was employed by West Virginia University and the Huffy bicycle manufacturing company in California.

He is survived by two sons and spouses; Tony James and Maria Mancuso of Kingwood and John Robert and Denise Mancuso of Arthurdale; one daughter, Rhoda Grace Mancusco of Baltimore, Maryland, one step-son, Richard L. Hormann of Pisgah; one brother, Robert Mancuso of Covina, California; four sisters, Nancy Adams of Miami, Florida, Macy Varner, Harriet Osbourne, Rose Turner, all of Warren, Ohio; eight grandchildren, Gregory Mancuso, Amanda Feather, Domenica, Breonna and Antonio Mancuso, Jeremy Adili, John Mancuso, Jr., and Jessie Mancuso; and his first wife, Rhoda Keifer of Arthurdale.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Ingrid Emily Stark Mancuso on November 29, 2002; a brother, William Mancuso; and a sister, Dorothy Weister.

Manz, Charles Anthony "Chuck"

Charles "Chuck" Anthony Manz, 90, of Jupiter, Florida, formerly of Rural Ridge, Indiana Township, died Friday, January 12, 2018. He was born February 11, 1927, in Pittsburgh, to the late Joseph and Anna Marie (Thomas) Manz.

Chuck enlisted in the Army in 1948 and served with the 73rd Tank Battalion at the start of the Korean War. He married Elizabeth "Betty" Reid on July 11, 1950, just before leaving for Korea. Chuck and Betty lived in Garfield until 1968, when they moved to Rural Ridge, Indiana Township. He was a member of the Sheet Metal Workers Local 12 for more than 60 years, retiring in 1986. They moved to Jupiter, Florida, in 2013 to be closer to their son.

Chuck was a member of the Knights of Columbus John F. Kennedy Council, Russellton, and the Queen of Angels Council, Wexford, and then with St. Peter Catholic Church Council in Jupiter.  His hobbies included racing pigeons, which he inherited from his father; creating wood crafts to donate to church events; and watching his grandchildren and great-grandchildren play sports.

Survivors include his wife, Betty; son, Louis (Therese) Manz; brother, John (Mary) Manz; sister-in-law, Ann Manz; grandchildren, Louis (Heather) Manz Jr., Jennifer (Ryan) Theis, David (Kristin) Manz and Stephen (Kristen) Manz; great-grandchildren, Madison, Grayson, Matthew and Kellen Manz, Carter, Caleb, and Colby Theis. Besides his parents, he was preceded in death by his sisters, Regina, Dorothy, Anna, Victoria and Cookie; and brothers, Joseph, Robert, Raymond, and Louis.

Family and friends are invited to attend a committal service at 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018, in Lakewood Memorial Gardens Mausoleum, 943 Route 910, Indiana Township, Cheswick, PA, with the Rev. James P. Holland officiating, Chuck will be buried with full military honors. Local arrangements were entrusted to the Siwicki-Yanicko Funeral Home, 23 McKrell Road, Russellton, West Deer.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Southeast Florida Honor Flight, PO Box 1503, Stuart, Florida 34995.

Published in The Valley News Dispatch on January 18, 2018

Martenhoff, James II

James Edward Martenhoff II died June 2, 2005 at the age of 85. He was an Associated Press war correspondent during the Korean War. He took a photo of Richard Coate that became famously known as "The Soldiers Watch." The image is etched on the surface of the Rensselaer County Korean War Memorial in Troy,  New York. The monument was dedicated in May of 1996.  The image was taken early in March of 1951 for AP release during the Easter Season, 1951.

Martin, Charles Elwood Sr.

From the Indianapolis Star, May 25, 2007:

Charles Elwood Martin, Sr. 75, Indianapolis, passed away May 23, 2007. A veteran of the United States Marine Corps, Charles served his country with distinction during the Korean War. He worked as a bus driver for the Indianapolis Transit Company for 15 years, prior to becoming the owner and operator of two Shell service stations at 16th and College and 34th and Keystone for ten years. He then worked as a truck driver. Charles lived at the Mozel Sanders Homes in the Meadows for twenty years, where he worked as the Maintenance Supervisor. He retired in 2001 from Consolidated Freight Trucking Company and was a member of Teamsters Union Local #135. Charles was preceded in death by five of his brothers and sisters, Otis Martin, Julia Bradley, Will Martin, Jesse Martin and Ethel Fowlkes, and a grandson, Benjamin Martin. Services will be held on Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 1 p.m. at Stuart Mortuary Chapel with calling from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Stuart Mortuary. Interment will be at Crown Hill Cemetery. He leaves to cherish his memory his daughters, Karen E. Martin and Sharon D. Martin; sons, Charles E. Martin, Jr. and Tony (Cheryl) Martin; grandchildren, Kimberly M. Martin, Erin D. Martin, April N. Martin and Charles E. Martin, III; great-granddaughter, Ji'Aire A. D. Martin; brother, John (Frozeen) Martin; sisters, Blanche Evans, Georgia B. Jackson, Susie Dartis and Lolita Thompson. Final arrangements have been entrusted to Stuart Mortuary.

Martin, J.W.

J.W. Martin died in November of 2005.  No further details are available for the KWE at this time.  He served in "C" Company (Seventh Marines)  in World War II and in the Air Wing in Korea.

Martin, Robert E.

Robert E. Martin, Sr., 82, of Lincoln, passed away at home with his family by his side on Tuesday, November 13, 2012. He was, for 53 years, the husband of the late C. Heléne (Masso) Martin. He was born in Providence, a son of the late George and Dorothy (Walsh) Martin.

He was an air conditioning and refrigeration contractor for many years, and also worked as a HVAC technician for various companies before retiring in 1992 from GTECH, where he was a maintenance supervisor.  He was a sergeant in the Marine Corps, serving in Korea during the Korean War. While stationed in California, he attended classes at UCLA.

A loving husband and father who had many close friends, he was an especially devoted grandfather who umpired, coached, cheered for and encouraged his grandchildren, who will always remember his wonderful sense of humor and constant presence at their baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, swimming, tennis, cross-country, dance and theater events. He was also passionate about reading, current events, and sports, and was a fervent Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots and Celtics fan. He played several sports in his younger days, and was always proud of the one homerun he hit at Cranston Stadium. He was a former member of the Junior Chamber of Commerce in North Providence, where he lived for 40 years before moving to Smithfield in 1994, and then Lincoln in 2007.

He is survived by three sons, Robert E. Martin, Jr. and his wife Diane of Smithfield, Michael R. Martin and his wife Karen of Foster, and Thomas G. Martin and his wife Lisa of Lincoln; two daughters, Stephanie H. Armstrong and her husband Charles of Moodus, CT. and Carol D. Redfield and her husband David of Marlborough, NH; eleven grandchildren, Elana and Hannah Redfield, Michael, Jessie, Daniel, CJ, Andrew, David and Laura Martin, Katie and Bill Armstrong. He was the brother of the late John Martin.

Relatives and friends are invited to visiting hours in the TUCKER-QUINN Funeral Chapel, 643 Putnam Ave (Rt.44) Greenville, Saturday from 9-12noon with a service to follow at 12pm. Burial will be private.

Martineau, Horace W. "Marty"

Col. Horace W. "Marty" Martineau, a Korean War B-29 Combat Crew Pilot, passed away on April 28, 2012. Marty had an illustrious Air Force career flying B-29s over North Korea just out of Pilot Training in 1951, then B-57s on special recon operations over the North Sea and Soviet and Baltic countries during the Cold War (per Friend's Journal, page 21, Vol. 31, Fall 2008 Deployment To Brize-Norton 1959), and RC -135s over Vietnam.

Marty and his wife Carole remained on Guam, raising their family of six children, while operating an international jewelry business throughout southeast Asia.  They later established and operated "Marty's Mexican Cantina" in Tamuning, Guam, known far and wide by Air Force Combat Crews who have served their country since the 1980s.

According to Air Force veteran Frank Farrell, "I remember Marty so well for so many sterling facets of his character, but particularly his marvelous sense of humor, and foremost, for having saved our crew's bacon singularly and certainly on several--but particularly two, occasions. And now I know I, and his family members are comforted that 'he has reached out and touched the Face of God'!

Carol Martineau advises that his ashes will be held on a special plaque that will state: "This is old Marty on his final approach...Mission accomplished."

May, Charles William

Col. Charles William May, Lansing, Michigan, served in the 1st Marine Division in Korea.  Colonel May commanded the 1st 90mm Anti-aircraft Battalion, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific. On December 21, 1951, he was a passenger on a TBM-3R Avenger patrol bomber when his aircraft received a direct hit by anti-aircraft fire and crashed near Chorwon, North Korea. His remains were not recovered.  He was awarded the Legion of Merit and Bronze Star.

Mayville, Donald Glen Sr.

Donald Glen Mayville Sr., age 80, Westland, Michigan, died September 23, 2012.  Don was born on January 29, 1932 in Detroit, Michigan and was the second son of Frank and Myrtle Mayville.

He joined the service at age 17 in 1949, which he retired from in September of 1973. He was a member of the Chosin Few of the Korean War, having served in the 3rd Battalion Communications Platoon of the 57th Field Artillery, 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division.  He also spent three tours in Vietnam, where he attended college in Bangkok, Thailand in Radio Communications.  He was a retired Master Sergeant.

After his retirement from the service he also retired as a Union Teamster Truck Driver in 1989. Don loved bowling, attending Veteran Reunions and traveling. Don is survived his sons, Don Mayville Jr., and Michael Mayville. His sisters Shirley Crandall and Sandra Marcum, along with 5 grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

Meade, John

John Meade of Gillette, New Jersey, a loving husband, father and grandfather, passed away on Friday, October 12, 2012, at home surrounded by his family. He was 83 years old.  Born in County Clare, Ireland, he emigrated to the United States in 1949. He lived in Maplewood and Union before moving 13 years ago to Gillette.

Mr. Meade served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was employed by the township of Maplewood as a firefighter and building inspector for more than 30 years.

He will be remembered for his compassion, his work ethic, his garden, his love of people and laughter, and his warm and ready smile. He will be greatly missed by all.

He was a communicant of St. Michael’s Church in Union and St. Vincent de Paul Church in Stirling.

Mr. Meade is survived by his wife of 52 years, Mary, of Gillette; his children, Patricia Sherman and husband Richard of Vacaville, California, Maureen Meade and Rahul Kumar of Basking Ridge, Kathleen Vogel and husband Theodore of Millington, Susan Mullen and husband Timothy of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Brian Meade of Vacaville. He was the cherished grandfather of Claire, T.J., Caroline, Jack and Tara. He will be joined in eternal rest with his beloved son, Johnny.

The family will receive friends from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, October 16, at the Valley Memorial Home, 1012 Valley Road in Gillette. A Mass of Christian burial will be held at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, October 17, at St. Vincent de Paul Church on Bebout Avenue in Stirling. Interment will follow at St. Vincent de Paul Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Rosary Memorial Garden at St. Vincent de Paul Church, Bebout Avenue, Stirling, New Jersey 07980.

Medlin, Clarence J.

Clarence J. Medlen, 77, of Tolono, IL died February 21, 2008.  He was born December 9, 1930, in Tolono, the son of William and Clara Butz Medlen.  He married Marlene A. Goddard on May 22, 1954, in Arizona.  She preceded him in death on November 29, 1997.

Surviving are two sons, David W. (Laurie) Medlen of Tolono, and Donald J. (Kim) Medlen of Catlin, IL; two daughters, Diane E. (Mike) Lieb of Champaign, IL and Donna L. (Craig) Rosson of Tolono; nine grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; many nieces and nephews; brothers Edgar, Carl, Walter, and Jimmy Medlen; and sisters Joann McGuire and Flossie Nugent.  He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters.

Mr. Medlen was the Fire Chief of Tolono Fire Department, a member of VFW Tolono Post 1237, Masonic Lodge A.F. & A.M. Post 391, and was retired from Alltel.  He was the past president of the Community Workers of America Local 5070.

He was a veteran of the Korean War and a proud veteran of the United States Navy Seabees.  He loved fishing, woodworking, hunting, and his grandchildren.

Menchaca, Domingo

Domingo Menchaca, age 78, of Bakersfield, California, passed away on June 1, 2013. His funeral service was held on June 6 at Tulare Christian Outreach Ministries in Tulare, and interment was June 6 at North Tulare Public Cemetery.

Pastor Menchaca was born in Edna, Texas, on August 12, 1934, and shepherded in the Tulare area for 25 years.  After serving his country in the United States military during the Korean War, he also served the community of Tulare and its surroundings in different ways for many years.  He was much loved by many people who knew him.  He will be forever remembered in their hearts.

He was a Translator. Visitation will be held Wed., June 5, 2013 from 5:00pm to 8:30pm at Sterling & Smith Funeral Home, 409 N . K Street, Tulare. Service will be held Thurs., June 6, 2013 at 10:00am at Tulare Christian Outreach Ministries, 160 N. N Street, Tulare. Interment will be Thurs., June 6, 2013 at 12:00pm at North Tulare Public Cemetery, 4572 N. J Street, Tulare. Remembrances and Condolences can be made at Services have been entrusted to Sterling & Smith Funeral Home, 409 N. K Street, Tulare.


Menna, Angelo

Angelo Menna in CFC Position
(Click picture for a larger view)

Angelo Menna, 79, of Basil Crossing, Cranston, passed away Wednesday, January 4, 2012 surrounded by his loving family. He was the devoted and cherished husband for 56 years of the late Barbara L. (Greco) Menna. Born in Providence, he was the son of the late Agnello and Antonetta (Verdecchia) Menna.

Angelo was Owner and President of Quonset Cities Service, Inc., an automotive repair facility in North Kingstown for 40 years before his retirement in 1997.

He was a veteran of the United States Air Force, serving from March 1951 to October 1953. On October 23, 2004, Angelo was awarded The Distinguished Flying Cross medal by Senator Jack Reed in recognition of his heroic efforts as a B-29 Central Fire Control Gunner in the 93rd Bomb Squadron. While en route to North Korea, during an aerial mission on November 26, 1952, his aircraft experienced a major and near-catastrophic malfunction of the autopilot gyro causing the aircraft to suddenly dive. The resulting instant weightlessness caused the equipment and crew to be thrown about the aircraft. All of the bombs, with the exception of four, had broken loose from the racks and had fallen through the bomb bay doors. One 500-pound bomb and three other armed, photoflash bombs loosened but were hanging from the forward bomb rack. Angelo, without regard for his own safety and without a parachute, managed to release the four bombs and pushed them out of the bomb bay doors into the sea. Because of his extraordinary courage and exceptional skill, Airman Menna ultimately saved the lives of the eleven-member crew.

His selflessness and devotion to duty and responsibility were his guiding principles in his later roles as an extraordinary, husband, father, and grandfather.

Angelo is survived by his adoring daughters, Karen L. Menna with whom he lived, and Jamie G. DiMaio and her husband Leo of Cranston. He was the proud and cherished grandfather of Stephanie Grace, Angelica Marie, and Leo Angelo DiMaio. He was the brother of the late Katherine Oliver, Emma D'Ambra, Gaetano Menna, John Menna and Elaine DeMatteis. He is also survived by many nieces and nephews.

Merna, Richard G.

Posted by the Merna Family:

"Our wonderful Brother Richard left us today [July 04, 2006], at 1:55 p.m. He was 71.  We were with our Rich since 1:00 o'clock this afternoon after getting a call that he was "not doing so good." He went into the hospital on June 2. He was there for four weeks, three of them in the CCU (Critical Care Unit) where he had three operations. He never knew we were there; we knew we were there.  He lived a devout Catholic life. He was one of the nicest guys you would ever hope to meet. He never married. He's with God tonight; we know that for a fact!  We lost a brother... We lost a Marine... today. He served his country on two tours in the Marine Corps, including almost 15 months in Korea.   He joins Roger Stanaitis, the brother of another St. Agnes Alumni, who died yesterday, as they travel together to their just rewards.  We miss him already... badly.  Please pray for both of them!  We lost a Marine today."  Richard Merna is pictured at right.

On Tuesday, July 4, 2006 of Clinton, MD. Beloved brother of Gerald F. (Dorothy) of Potomac Falls, VA, Robert P. of San Jose, CA, James E. (Suzanne) of Annapolis, MD and Locust Grove, VA, and Vivian Renoes (Al) of Sun City West, AZ, and many nieces and nephews.  He was preceded in death by his brother, George, killed in action in WWII, and a younger brother, Thomas.

In his youth, along with his five brothers and a sister, Richard was raised at two Catholic institutions, St. Dominic's Home for Boys and Girls, Blauvelt, NY, and at St. Agnes Home for Boys, Sparkhill, NY.  He graduated from Tappan Zee High School in Piermont, NY in 1953.  He served two tours in the U.S. Marine Corps, from 1953-1958 and 1961-1962, including 15 months in Korea with the First Marine Division.  Upon his discharge, he attended the University of Maryland for three years where he was a member of the Newman Club and the Economic Discussion Club.  His part-time and subsequent full-time employment included the U.S. Post Office Dept., the Statler Hilton Hotel, the Interstate Commerce Commission, and the Internal Revenue Service.  He was a 100 percent disabled veteran.

Friends may visit with the family at LEE FUNERAL HOME, Branch Ave. and Coventry Way, Clinton MD. on Monday, July 10, from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.  Prayers will be offered at 7 p.m.  Interment Tuesday, July 11 at 11 a.m. at Quantico National Cemetery.  In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Dominican Sisters, 175 Route 340, Sparkhill, NY 10976, Attn: Sr. Peggy Scarano.

Merna, Robert Paul

Robert Paul Merna, 75, a retired California court reporter and Korean War navy veteran, died of cancer December 22, 2006, at his home in San Jose after a lengthy illness.  A long-time California resident, he previously lived in San Francisco, Moraga, and Walnut Creek.

He was born in New York City in 1931.  Along with five brothers and one sister, he was raised in two Dominican-run Catholic homes, St. Dominic's Home for Boys and Girls, Blauvelt, New York, and at St. Agnes Home for Boys, Sparkill, New York.  He attended Tappan Zee High School in Piermont, New York.

After completing high school in New York City, Mr. Merna enlisted in the U.S. Navy in May 1951.  He served five years on active duty, including 16 months in the Korean War.  He served aboard the destroyer escort USS McGinty (DE-365) on blockade and patrol duty in Wonsan Harbor, conducting numerous shore bombardments of Communist-held positions.  For his service, he was awarded the Korean Service Medal with two battle stars, the China Service Medal (extended), the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, and the Good Conduct Medal.  Upon his discharge from the navy, he moved to the Bay area.  He was an avid sports fan and traveler.

Survivors include his brothers Gerald F. Merna, of Potomac Falls, Virginia, James E. Merna, of Annapolis, Maryland, and a sister, Vivian Rendes, of Sun City West, Arizona.  He leaves behind numerous nieces and nephews, including Karen Hennessy and Roberta Moretti, both of San Jose.  Preceding him in death were his brothers George C. Merna, of New York City (killed in action in World War II), Richard G. Merna, of Clinton, Maryland, and Thomas G. Merna, of San Francisco.

A memorial mass will be offered for Mr. Merna at 11:00 a.m., Thursday, December 28, at Saint Christopher Parish, 1576 Curtner Avenue, San Jose.  Interment Friday, December 29 at 11:00 a.m. at San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery, 32053 West McCabe Road, Gustine, California.  In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Dominican Sisters, 175 Route 340, Sparkill, New York 10976, Attn: Sr. Peggy Scarano.

(Posted 12/18/2010)

Meteer, James W.

James William Meteer, Sr., 85, of L'Anse, Michigan, died Tuesday morning, March 6, 2007, at Baraga County Memorial Hospital, following a lengthy illness.  Interment was in the Wesley Chapel Cemetery in Hilliard, Ohio.

He was born April 7, 1921 in Columbus, Ohio, a son of the late William F. and Julia Ann (Kerns) Meteer. He attended Hilliard High School in Hilliard, Ohio. Jim earned a Bachelor of Science in 1944 and a Masters degree in Forestry in 1947 from the University of Michigan.

Jim served in World War II and he was a Korean War veteran.  He was a captain in the Marine Corps. He was stationed in the Pacific Theatre and China, serving in Guam with the 3rd Marine Division during World War II.

In 1944, he married the former Olympia "Lee" Capaldi on the Marine base in Quantico, Virginia.  Jim was employed as an assistant professor with the Ohio State Agricultural Experiment Station before taking a position as professor of Forest Research and Forestry at the Ford Forestry Center at Michigan Tech University. He earned Professor Emeritus status with MTU in 1984. Following retirement from MTU, he served as president of Forest Restoration, Inc., a company that worked towards the development of the forest-based economy in the Western Upper Peninsula. He also owned and operated Superior Forest Systems, a consulting firm.

His professional activities included a fellowship and 50-year membership with the Society of American Foresters. He helped organize the Michigan Forest Association and served as its director for ten years.

Jim was a member of the Baraga County Memorial Hospital Board of Directors, chaired the Baraga County Committee for Overall Development and Planning, served on the Western Upper Peninsula Planning and Development Commission, member of L'Anse Village Industrial Committee, vice chair of Baraga County Senior Citizens Board, was an original organizer and trustee of the Baraga County Community Foundation, former president of Baraga County Kiwanis for two terms, member and chair of the Public Library Advisory Board, trustee of the Copper Country Intermediate School District, member of the the American Legion, VFW, Marine Corps League, Lions, U of M Club of the Copper Country, Knights of Columbus, St. Vincent DePaul Society and Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church. He was also selected Baraga County Citizen of the Year in 1997.

His leisure activities included genealogical studies, computers, American history, Sons of American Revolution, hunting and fishing.

He is survived by his wife, Olympia "Lee" Meteer of L'Anse; sons, James (Elizabeth) Meteer, Jr. of St. Louis, Missouri and Philip Capaldi (Nancy) Meteer of Townsend, Massachusetts; daughters Antoinette Lee (John) Shepich of New Berlin, Wisconsin and Julia Ann (Mark) Antiel of Coon Rapids, Minnesota; a sister, Florence Summy of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Charles L. Meteer.

Michael, Thomas Wayne

Thomas Wayne "Tom" Michael, 82, of Stewardson, Illinois, died Tuesday, March 11, 2014 in Effingham, Illinois.  Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m., March 14, 2014, at Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Strasburg.  Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. on March 13 at Howe and Yockey Funeral Home, Strasburg, and one hour before services Friday at the church.  Burial will be in Grace Lutheran Church Cemetery, Strasburg, with military rites by Strasburg American Legion Post 289.

Mr. Michael was born on October 2, 1931, in Woodbine, Iowa, the son of Charles T. and Mabel Ruth Hinkle Michael.  He graduated from Stewardson-Strasburg High School.  Tom served in the U.S. Air Force and was a veteran of the Korean War.

He was a building operation engineer for the University of Illinois, owned and operated Michael Small Engine Repair in Stewardson and later worked for York Bin Company in Strasburg until his retirement.  For the last nine years, he assembled bicycles for Wal-Mart in Effingham.

Tom was a member of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church and Strasburg American Legion Post 289, both in Strasburg.

He married Donna Berniece Brandt on July 18, 1958, at Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Strasburg.  He is survived by his wife and sons Gary Wayne Michael and wife Maura of Champaign, Illinois, and Larry Thomas Michael and wife Nena of Urbana; two granddaughters, Marissa Michael and Jessica Michael Devore, and one great-granddaughter, Madelyn Jane Twine.  He was preceded in death by his parents, Charles and Mabel; brother, Charles J. Michael; and sister, Helen Robertson-Acevedo.

Memorials may be made to Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Strasburg, or a charity of the donor's choice.

Michie, George Anderson Sr.

George Anderson Michie Sr., 77, of Fairfax, Virginia, died Tuesday, September 1, 2009, at Washington County Hospital, Hagerstown, Maryland, after a short fight with lung and brain cancer. Born February 23, 1932, in Fairfax, he was the son of the late Thomas and Susan Wolford Michie. He was a decorated Korean War veteran of the U.S. Army. He was employed in the HVAC Industry in the metropolitan D.C. area for more than 35 years. He leaves his loving wife, Mary E. Newton Michie, whom he married, July 21, 1979; three brothers; three sisters; one daughter; two stepdaughters; two stepsons; and 10 grandchildren.

Millatti, Ross "Zottie"

Ross Anthony "Zottie" Millatti, 73, of Belleville, Illinois, died Thursday, June 30, 2005, at Jefferson Barracks  Veterans Administration Hospital following a long illness.

Mr. Millatti worked for many years at National City Stockyards and farmed in St. Clair County, Illinois. He was the past vice president of the Imjim Chapter of the Korean War Veteran's Association and was a U.S. Marine and a combat veteran of the Korean War where he served as an infantryman with E Company, Second Battalion, Fifth Marine Regiment. Mr. Millatti participated in the Chosen Reservoir campaign, where he was wounded twice by enemy fire. He was awarded two Purple Hearts and several medals.

Discharged from the Marine Corps, Mr. Millatti returned to the metro area where he married Sandra Knapp on July 3, 1955 and raised a family of five children. He is survived by his wife, Sandra Millatti of Belleville; his children, Debra Ann Millatti of Ouray, Colorado, Ross Anthony Millatti Jr. of Maryland Heights, Karen Louise Martin of Lake St. Louis, John Knapp Millatti of Belleville, and Lisa Evelyn Anne Meyer of Columbia, Missouri; and four grandchildren, Jonathan and Farrah Reed of Valdosa, Georgia, Sarah Louise Wiest and Andrea Louise Wiest of St. Louis, Missouri.  Mass of Christian burial was held on Wednesday, July 6, 2005, at St. Henry's Catholic Church, Belleville. Interment was at Mount Hope Cemetery, Belleville.

Miller, James Woodrow

James Woodrow Miller, age 66 of Dayton, departed this life Tuesday, January 6, 1998 as a result of complications from surgery.  James was born in Hazard, Kentucky, February 10, 1931.  He was retired from Harrison Radiator and was an Army veteran of the Korean War.

He was proceeded in death by his father and mother, Galielo and Easter; father-in-law and mother-in-law, Pearl and Mary Woods; two brothers, Marvin and Arlas; a sister Edith; and a daughter Janice.  He was survived by his beloved wife of 40 years, Lois; one daughter and son-in-law, Theresa and Dennis Brewer; sons and daughters-in-law, James and Kim and Mike and Linda; son, Roger; six grandchildren, Sara, Joshua, Benjamin, Greg, Sean and Glenn; sister and brother-in-law, Pearl and husband; brothers and sisters-in-law, Dennis and Jeannie, Rufus and Dema, Thorton and Janice, and Earnest and Maxine; sister-in-law and husband, Fannie and David Henderson; brothers-in-law and wives, Clarence and Mamie Woods and Carl and Osie Woods; and numerous nieces and nephews, relatives and friends.

We miss you and love you forever.

Miller, Paul "Leon" Sr.

Paul "Leon" Miller Sr. of Falls Creek, Pennsylvania died February 15, 2007.  Born October 18, 1932, a son of Robert Ivan and Bertha Gaynelle (Potts) Miller, he was married to Shirley Connor Miller.  She preceded him in death July 6, 2006. He was a graduate of the Falls Creek High School. He was a graduate of the National Radio Institute of Washington D.C. He was an Army Veteran of the Korean War, serving with the 28th Infantry Division, A Battery, 229th Field Artillery from 1950-1952. He was deployed to Germany with the European Pact during the war.  He owned and operated Miller Electronics for 50 years. He was a 50-year member of the Fraternal Order of the Eagles and a 50-year member of the James J. Patterson Post 813, Veterans of Foreign Wars. He enjoyed hunting, antiques and bottle digging.

Survivors include three sons: Lee Miller, Brian Miller, and Mark Miller; one daughter, Vicki Bundy; 12 grandchildren; eight great grandchildren; and two brothers, John Miller and Arman Miller.

Millet, Lewis L.

Col. (Ret.) Lewis L. Millet, Medal of Honor recipient of Idyllwild, California, died Saturday morning Nov 24, 2009 at Jerry L. Pettis Memorial VA Medical Center in Loma Linda. He was 88. "He had a brief hospitalization. He came in the day before Veterans Day," said hospital spokeswoman Annie Tuttle. Col. Millett had various health problems over the last three to five years, including diabetes, said Mike Goldware, a family spokesman. A cause of death was not announced. Funeral arrangements were pending. Col. Millett was a regular at patriotic events locally and across the country. In April, Col. Millett served as grand marshal for the Salute to Veterans Parade in Riverside. Earlier this year, a park in San Jacinto was dedicated in his name. "He was a regular at the (Riverside) National Cemetery," Goldware said. "If he could get on board a military transport, he would go anywhere for the troops." Col. Millett was born in Mechanic Falls, Maine, on Dec. 15, 1920. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1940 and served as an air gunner, then joined the Canadian Army when it appeared the United States would not enter World War II. "He joined the Royal Canadian Army after President Roosevelt said in a speech that no American boy would fight on foreign soil," Goldware said. He returned to the U.S. Army in 1942 upon the United States' entrance into World War II and served in the 1st Armored Division. After making sergeant, he was awarded a battlefield commission. According to his Medal of Honor Citation, then-Capt. Millett distinguished himself "above and beyond the call of duty in action" in Korea, after he and his men came under heavy enemy fire on Feb. 7, 1951. He ordered and led a bayonet counterattack up the hill, killing enemy soldiers in hand-to-hand assault during which he was wounded by a grenade blast. But by early afternoon, his company had taken the hill. He was presented the Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman in July 1951. He retired as a colonel in 1973 after a 31-year career in which he served in World War II, Korea War and the Vietnam War.

Minnicks, Charles J. "Skip"

Minnicks, Charles J., passed away on 31 August, 2013, in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. Skip served during the Korean War and joined Special Forces serving in the original 77th Special Forces Group in 1954. He also served with the 7th and 3rd Special Forces Groups. He went to Vietnam with the 5th SFG in 1962 and served continuously until 1969 in various assignments. He was assigned to I, II and III Corps, Delta Project and was at Khe Sanh during the Tet Offensive of 1968.

After retirement he belonged to the Shidle Lodge 601, Syria Shrine of Pittsburgh, Syria Shrine Gun Club, the Coudersport Consistory, VFW Post 8427, American Legion Post 945, several Rod and Gun Clubs, the Khe Sanh Veterans Association and the Special Forces Association. He was inducted into the Pennsylvania Hall of Valor at the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum.

He is survived by his wife, Patricia Ann; a son, Charles; three grandchildren; Charles, Margaret and Patricia; and his brother, James. Masonic services were held at the Shidle Lodge 601. Interment with full military honors was in the Westmorland County Memorial Park.

Mitchler, Lawrence "Larry"

Lawrence “Larry” Mitchler passed away at his home in Fall River Mills on December 14, 2012, at the age of 79. He was the son of Lawrence J. Mitchler Sr., and Margaret Constance McMahon who preceded him death, as did his sister Marcia Arnold and nephew John W. Mitchler. He is survived by his loving wife Marilyn Miller Mitchler, brother John, nieces, nephew, grandnieces and grand nephews.

Larry was raised in San Francisco, graduating from Sacred Heart High School. He served in the Army during the Korean War and returned to study and graduate as a member of Tau Beta Pi Honor Society from U C Berkeley. He received his masters degree from Brooklyn Polytechnic. As an aerospace engineer, his early career was with Lockheed Sunnyvale. For most of his career he worked with TRW in Redondo Beach, California in space systems, terrestrial systems and international relations.

For the past 21 years, he was treated at the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center. During that time he participated in seven clinical trials for possible new cancer medicines. Two of the medicines he tested are presently FDA approved. He felt strongly that he was helping other men in the future who developed his type of cancer.

Larry and Marilyn sought rural life when he retired. They chose to move to Lassen County in Northern California where they grew alfalfa and organic wheat. They eventually moved to Fall River Mills choosing to stay in the area because of many wonderful friends who live in this mountain area, including the supportive fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

A private family disposition will be held at the family plot at St. Patrick’s in Murphys, California. In lieu of flowers the family would prefer donations to the Intermountain Hospice or a charity of choice.

Moliterno, Carmine "Mel"

Carmine "Mel" Moliterno, age 81, of Southbury, Connecticut, formerly of New Rochelle, NY died on October 19, 2012.

The son of the late Felice and Louise (Crocco) Moliterno, he served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War from 1951 - 1953 where his bravery and valor earned him many distinctive honors including the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

Mel married Evelyn (Iannuzzi) Moliterno of New Rochelle, NY in 1954 and joined REC Corporation as VP of Manufacturing. In 1987 he and his son co-founded MJS Contracting Corp. where he continued to work even after his unofficial retirement.

Mel had a true love of life and his family above all. He is survived by his beloved wife of 58 years, Evelyn, and their children: Valerie (and Tony) Vanadia, Mindy (and Steve) Chanelli, and Stephen (and Michele) Moliterno, in addition to his seven grandchildren: Jessica (and Kyle) McEvily, Noelle (and Rick) Spidalieri, Daniel, Gregory & Candace Chanelli, and Alyssa & Robert Moliterno, as well as one great-grandson, Ryan McEvily. He is also survived by his sister Phyllis (Moliterno) Gagliardi of Coral Springs, FL.

Visiting Monday, October 22 from 2 - 8 pm at Fox Funeral Home, Larchmont. Funeral mass Tuesday, October 23, at Holy Family Church, New Rochelle at 10:30 am

Monarch, Richard L.

Richard L. Monarch, of Greenwood, died Thursday, January 12, 2012 at Self Regional Medical Center. Born in L’Anse, Michigan, he was a son of the late Ida (nee Rober) and John C. Monarch and stepson of the late Orin Nollinger.

Richard was a hard worker, whether he milked cows on his family’s farm, set bowling pins or sold newspapers on the corner. As a Purple Heart veteran, he served his country in the US Army and fought in the Korean War.  He trained as a sniper in Australia in October of 1950 and then joined the 3rd Battalion, 31st Regiment, 25th Infantry Division in Korea in January 1951.  He was wounded in March 1951.

He received his BS degree in Industrial Engineering and an MBA. He managed factories and negotiated contracts for ITT – Bell & Gossett. He was the original “most interesting man in the world.” Richard was a loyal fan of the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions and the Chicago Cubs. If you ever met him, you would not forget him and, if you were his friend, he would give you the shirt off of his back. He possessed a strong personality, was gregarious, vibrant and never subtle. He loved and was proud of each and every one of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Richard was a man who loved life, his wife, his family, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darrin, and a good brandy Manhattan.

Richard was preceded in death by his brothers, Jesse, Carl, James, Gene and Alvin, and his sister, Lorraine. Richard is survived by his wife of thirty years, Mary Anne (nee Zazula); two sons, Curtis L. Monarch (Margaret) and John Cullen Monarch; three daughters, Cheryl Salaiz, (Oscar), Karol Creech, (David), and Connie McCarthy, (Pete, deceased); four wonderful grandchildren and three beautiful great grandchildren.

Monical, Howard

Howard A. Monical Sr., 88, of Gibson City, Illinois, died at 6 p.m. Wednesday, February 19, 2014, at the Veterans Affairs Illiana Health Care System in Danville, Illinois.  Mr. Monical was cremated and his remains scattered at sea by the U.S. Navy. 

Mr. Monical was born February 4, 1926, in Bellflower, Illinois, a son of Alva and Grace Vinson Monical.  He married Sumiko Tani in January 1955 in Japan.  He later married Cathy Apperson on April 8, 1978, in Bellflower, Illinois.  She survives in Gibson City.

Also surviving are three sons, Howard A. Monical Jr. of Sibley, Illinois, William R. Monical of Fisher, Illinois and Travis Monical of Gibson City; his grandchildren, Justin Roy Monical of Fisher, Nicholas (Myriah) Monical of Bloomington, Illinois, and Rheanna (Jacob) Gassaway of Leroy, Illinois; two great-grandchildren, Gavin David Monical and Tanner Jacob Gassaway; two sisters, Louise Swearingen of Gibson City and Shirley Franklin of Farmer City. Illinois; as well as many nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by a daughter, Cheryl; brothers, Delmar Wayne, Harold James, Walter, Floyd and Loyd; and sister, Dorothy Wolf Bono.

Howard enlisted in the U.S. Navy at the age of 17 and served in the Armored Guard during World War II in the North Atlantic, Philippines and Japan.  He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War at various stations: Long Beach, Monterrey, Sasebo, Yokosuka.  He was discharged in 1966 and returned to Bellflower.

He worked at various jobs, including Tucker's, Cornbelt Hatchery, Day Drainage, McCord's Tire Service, Gibson Bowl and Harry's Bart & Grill.

He received his high school diploma in 2010, a proud moment for him and his family.  He was able to partake in "The Honor Flight" in October 2010, another proud moment.  He recently received an honor from the American Legion for being a Three War Veteran.

He loved his family and was proud to have served his country that he so loved.  Memorials may be made to the Palliative Care Unit at Illiana Health Care.

Mooney, Frederick T.

Oakfield, New York – Frederick T. Mooney, 75, a Korean War Veteran, an avid airplane enthusiast and a cartoon artist died Saturday, March 10, 2007.  He was born July 23, 1931, in Stafford, a son of the late William H. and Pearl Valkenberg Mooney. Fred was employed with Lapp Insulator, in Le Roy, New York, for 42 years and was a member of the VFW of Oakfield. He served four years as a Navy corpsman and approximately 15 months of his corpsman duty with the 1st Marine Division in Korea as a front line Field Medical Technician.  While in the Navy, Fred was awarded a "Letter of Accommodation" for his excellent illustrations.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Florence A. Brumsted Mooney; two daughters, Roxanne Mooney of Oakfield and Rhonda (David) Waters of Albion; two sons, Robin (Linda) Mooney of Port Orange, Florida, and Ryan (Noreen) Mooney of Oakfield; a brother Jerold (Sue) Mooney of Penfield; a sister, Carol (Nelson) Stamp of Byron; eight grandchildren, Sara Rose, Zachary, Ryan, Patrick, Staci, Lisa, Michelle and Amy; several great grandchildren; and nieces and nephews.  He was brother of the late William H. Mooney Jr. And Edmund, Richard "Jack" and Jerome Mooney.

Moore, Oscar L.

Oscar L. Moore, 86, died Wednesday, December 12, 2012.  A memorial service will be held Saturday at 11 am at Wilkerson Funeral Chapel. A graveside service will be held at 3 pm at Sunnyside Cemetery in Scotland Neck.

Mr. Moore was born in Halifax County near Scotland Neck, one of 15 children, the son of Frank and Lizzie Moore. He graduated from the Scotland Neck High School. Immediately after graduation he joined the U. S. Marines and went to “Boot Camp” at Paris Island, South Carolina. Later he returned there to “get even,” as he laughingly referred to his nearly two years there as a drill instructor. While attending drill instructor’s school, he graduated second highest in his class of 96 Marines.

A veteran of World War II and Korea and being retired on disabilities received in combat, he was a much decorated Marine. Twice he was awarded the Silver Star Medal for Gallantry in Action, three times decorated with the Bronze Star for Bravery and four times awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received. He received three Presidential Unit Citations and Letters of Commendation for excellence in performance of duties. He was awarded the Asiatic Pacific Theater Medal with four battle stars, the American Theater Medal, the Korean Presidential Unit Citation (two awards), the Good Conduct Medal, Korean Service Medal (four battle stars), National Defense Medal, and the Philippine Liberation Medal (two battle stars). He also received the United Nations Medal, the National Defense Medal, the Philippine Liberation Medal with two battle stars, the Occupation Medal (Japan), World War II Victory Medal and the European Theater Medal.

Each of the Silver Stars (the third highest medal that can be awarded a Marine) carried a citation with them and one of them reads in part, “For conspicuous gallantry and Intrepidity while serving in Company ‘F’, Second Battalion, First Marines, First Marine Division (Reinforced) in action against enemy aggressor forces in North Korea on October 8, 1950, when his company was delayed by hostile machine gun fire during an assault against Chinese forces in North Korea. Sgt. Moore courageously charged the hostile positions, killing nine machine gunners at three separate gun positions and capturing 17 supporting infantry troops.” The citation was signed by Frances P. Matthews, Secretary of the Navy—for The President.

He led quite an interesting life while a Marine. His travels, via troop ships and submarines, took him through both the Panama and Suez Canals, circling the globe about three times. In 1955, with the wars behind him, he worked as a deputy sheriff in Halifax County, met Shirley Harris of Enfield and married her in that year. They set up residency in Roanoke Rapids where she taught in the high school there and he became the manager of Dixie Oil Company. Mr. Moore then became a Veteran Service Officer for NC, retiring in 1990. According to a citizen of Halifax County, he was “the very best service office that Halifax County ever had.” During their residence in Roanoke Rapids, he was a member of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars Department programs. He also donated to the American Red Cross Blood Program many times. Later, during his years as Service Officer of District 8 (which covered eight counties) he served as assistant State Service Director.

He had fond memories of some assignments while in the Marines, including the experience of having one of the most decorated Marines as his regimental Commander, Colonel Lewis “Chesty” Puller, who was soon promoted to General. Mr. Moore served at Key West in the Presidential Honor Guard during the term of former President Harry F. Truman and also served in the Embassy of Pakistan. Other Civilian Honors included an award of The Order of the Long Leaf Pine from the State of North Carolina. He also received over 25 plaques in appreciation of his services performed for veterans from the various veterans’ organizations such as the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans, and Viet Nam Veterans. Recently he was named a Paul Harris Fellow by Rotary International, and was a member of Immanuel Baptist Church in Greenville.

Mr. Moore was preceded in death by a son, Christopher L. Moore in 1989. He is survived by his wife, Shirley Harris Moore.  The family will receive friends Friday from 6 to 8 pm at Wilkerson Funeral Home. Memorial contributions may be made to the Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund, Inc., P.O. Box 3968, Gaithersburg, MD 20885-3968 or to the memorial fund at Immanuel Baptist Church, 1101 S. Elm St., Greenville, NC 27858.

Morazzini, Anthony J.

Anthony J. Morazzini 86, of Orange, son of the late David and Angela Bonnetti Morazzini and husband of Phyllis Florio Morazzini, passed away peacefully on October 2, 2012 at his home surrounded by his family.

He was the father of Vanna (Vincent) Guarino of Orange and Anthony (Jamie) Morazzini of Woodbridge; grandfather of Michael and Evan Morazzini and Victoria Guarino; and brother of Lena Vecchio of West Haven, Rose Capobianco of New Haven, Dominic Morazzini of Orange, and the late Mary Evangeliste and Frank and Peter Morazzini.

Prior to his retirement in 1988 Anthony was a truck driver for the Department of Transportation and also a Army veteran of the Korean War.

Friends may call at the Porto Funeral Home, 830 Jones Hill Road, West Haven on Thursday from 5pm to 8 p.m.  His funeral procession will leave the funeral home Friday morning at 9:15 a.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated in Holy Infant Church at 10:00 a.m. Interment will follow in All Saints Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers Memorial Contributions may be made to Connecticut Hospice, 2 Trap Falls Road, Suite 408, Shelton, Connecticut 06484.

Moretti, Lawrence Joseph

Lawrence “Lance” Joseph Moretti, 90, of Indiana, passed away on Thursday, February 4, 2016 at Indiana Regional Medical Center, surrounded by his family. The son of Nazzareno and Limbania Campana Moretti, he was born November 18, 1925 in White Township.

Mr. Moretti was a lifetime resident of Indiana County and was employed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad for 43 years and retired in 1987 as a Track Foreman. He also operated his own farm for over 40 years. At one time, he had as many as 70 head of beef.

He served in the active reserves of the National Guard during the Korean War. He was a member of the Ernest Church of the Resurrection. Mr. Moretti was also a lifetime member of the Railroad Workers Local 6 of the BMWE. He was a member of the Punxsutawney Eagles Club for many years as well.

Mr. Moretti (Lance to his family & friends) enjoyed polka dancing and music, farming, gardening and having the company of family and friends. He also enjoyed making wine in his home and did so, well into his eighties. Mr. Moretti had an exceptional singing voice and had once auditioned in Pittsburgh in the late 1940’s and came in first out of 50 contestants. He was even offered a contract, but wanted to remain in the area with his family. He could be heard by many area residents singing in the fields to pass the time while he farmed.

He also enjoyed many PBS programs including “The Lawrence Welk Show” and the “Danny O’Donnell Specials” and would often call family and friends to tell them who was performing. Mr. Moretti spent many a Saturday night laughing with his son over episodes of the British comedies “Are You Being Served” and “Keeping Up Appearances”.

He is survived by his son, Lawrence Lee Moretti, of Indiana; four step-children, David Speranza and wife Kathy of Clarksburg; Jeffrey Speranza, of Shelocta; Barbara Speranza, of Indiana; and Sherri Morgan and husband Donald of Kingsland, GA; Ten grandchildren and five great-grandchildren also survive him. In addition, he is survived by his sister, Louise Pacconi, of Indiana, his special friend, Mario Andrie and numerous nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Vincent, Raymond, William and Robert; Sisters Minnie Cerovich, Evelyn Starry and Leona Frech, as well as three infant siblings.

Friends will be received from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8PM Sunday, February 7th at the Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home, of Indiana. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10AM the next day at the Ernest Church of the Resurrection with the Rev. Tony Klimko, as celebrant. Interment will follow in Greenwood Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in his name to: WQED Multimedia, 4802 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, VNA Hospice, 850 Hospital Road, Suite 3000, Indiana, PA 15701 or to Four Footed Friends, 220 Beck Road Indiana, PA 15701.

Morin, Phil

The death of HM2 Hospital corpsman Phil Morin took place on August 16, 2006. Phil served in Korea through the battle of the "Hook" and was awarded the Purple Heart. He was buried on the 21st in Haydenville, MA.

Moroney, William J.

William J. Moroney, 74, of Wenham, Mass., died Dec. 16, 2003, following a brief illness.


Mr. Moroney was a native of Auburn, N.Y., and attended Port Byron Central School. He earned a bachelor's degree in chemistry from Niagara University, a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from Syracuse University and a master's degree in physics from Northeastern University. Most of his professional career was in engineering and management.

In the Korean War, he received a battlefield promotion to first lieutenant and was awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star.

Mr. Moroney was predeceased by his parents, John and Frances Moroney; his sister, Marie C. Fox; and his brother, John (Jack) Moroney. He is survived by his wife, Josephine Balloni Moroney, also of Auburn; his sons, Dr. Paul (Jean) Moroney, Encinitas, Calif.; John (Sandra) Moroney, Esq., West Peabody, Mass.; his sister, Frances (Clark) Whited, Brockport, N.Y.; his sister-in-law, Mary Jean Moroney, Morgantown, W. Va.; and his grandchildren, nieces, nephews and cousins.

His funeral liturgy was celebrated at St. Rose of Lima Church, Topsfield, Mass., on Dec. 22, 2003, with burial in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Fleming, N.Y.

- See more at:

William J. Moroney, 74, of Wenham, Massachusetts, died December 16, 2003, following a brief illness. Mr. Moroney was a native of Auburn, New York, and attended Port Byron Central School. He earned a bachelor's degree in chemistry from Niagara University, a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from Syracuse University and a master's degree in physics from Northeastern University. Most of his professional career was in engineering and management.

In the Korean War, he received a battlefield promotion to first lieutenant and was awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star.  He served in the 45th Infantry Division.

Mr. Moroney was predeceased by his parents, John and Frances Moroney; his sister, Marie C. Fox; and his brother, John (Jack) Moroney. He is survived by his wife, Josephine Balloni Moroney, also of Auburn; his sons, Dr. Paul (Jean) Moroney, Encinitas, Calif.; John (Sandra) Moroney, Esq., West Peabody, Mass.; his sister, Frances (Clark) Whited, Brockport, N.Y.; his sister-in-law, Mary Jean Moroney, Morgantown, W. Va.; and his grandchildren, nieces, nephews and cousins.

His funeral liturgy was celebrated at St. Rose of Lima Church, Topsfield, Massachusetts, on December 22, 2003, with burial in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Fleming, New York.

Morris, David Gambrell

On September 4, 2011, decorated Korean war veteran and schoolteacher David Gambrell Morris passed away at the age of 82. He was survived by 5 children, 10 grandchildren, and 5 great-grandchildren.

He was born on October 7, 1928, in Vian, Oklahoma, and spent his early life in Muskogee. The summer after he finished high school, he went down to Texas to work the oil fields. His Texas excursion was cut short when his sweetheart, Mary, wrote him a letter saying things weren’t going to work out. Unwilling to let the girl he met at Baptist dance night go, he immediately returned to Muskogee and convinced her otherwise. When she asked why, he said her cooking was just too good to pass up. Using the funds from the pawning of his most expensive possession, his trumpet, he eloped with Mary and married her that same day. The night after the ceremony, they each returned to their own family’s houses, undoubtedly full of new plans.

Soon enough they had enough money to get the trumpet back, and their own place too, and the future looked rosy. But when the Korean War broke out, David was shipped off to the Far East. Mary was left at home, an event that caused her to hold a grudge against President Truman for the rest of her life.

David shipped out as part of the 45th Infantry Division of the Oklahoma National Guard in September 1950 at the age of 21, and served as a field radio operator until May 1952. He earned the Combat Infantry Badge, the UN Service Medal, the Korean Service Medal with one bronze service star, and the Army Occupation Medal (Japan). The 45th Infantry Division spent most of its time during the war defending an area of the front lines called Old Baldy Hill from Chinese forces. Old Baldy Hill is today located in the demilitarized zone between the two Koreas, 80 km due north of downtown Seoul. David said that he spent most of his time in Korea camped out in a line of foxholes, listening to distant artillery fire. He came back with frostbite and impaired hearing, but otherwise fine.

David Morris in South Korea on deployment as part of the 45th Infantry Division.
After he returned from the war, David got his Master’s degree in education and taught high school math and science courses for the next 40 years. The reunited couple quickly produced five children and a million stories. One of their daughters, Kathy, went to school and became a teacher herself. She married a man who had served as an Air Force intelligence officer monitoring the Korean DMZ for suspicious activity. Eventually they had three sons. The oldest traveled to Korea as well to do some writing. He also learned to play his grandfather’s trumpet, and hopes to pawn it some day too.

David Gambrell Morris was well-known in his later years for his skill at the piano, the trumpet, and the harmonica. He and his wife Mary could, and did, give impromptu concerts on many occasions. He was also a well-known math tutor in the town of Muskogee after his retirement. He knew a lot of good stories, and I’m going to miss him.

Morris, Ralph D.

Ralph D. Morris
(Click picture for a larger view)

Ralph D. Morris
(Click picture for a larger view)

My dad, Ralph D. Morris, age 66, died on August 22, 1999, after an eight-year battle with cancer. He served during the Korean War 1950- 1953 with the United States Army. He joined the Army when he was 17 years old out of Bloomington, Indiana.  Upon discharge he got a ride with a buddy and came up to Wisconsin.

He got a job in West Bend, Wisconsin, where he met my mother, Geraldine Vujnovich. They married and had five children. Ralph was owner of Morris Radio & TV for many years. In the 1960's he moved to California were he was a long-haul truck driver until service-related problems forced him to choose other employment.

He moved to Texas and was a landscaper and an animal control officer. In 1991, he was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer.  Ralph was very involved in the VA.  He volunteered for several experimental drugs for his cancer.

He moved to Fond du Lac by Wisconsin to be with his daughter and grandchildren.  He lived the last 7 years of his life with his children and grandchildren, whom he loved dearly.  He was the greatest Dad and Grandfather in the world. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him dearly. - Deb Schuette

Morrisey, John C. Jr. "Bud"

Captain John C. Morrisey
During WWII
(Click picture for a larger view)

Lt. Col John C Morrisey
After the Korean War
(Click picture for a larger view)

John "Bud" Morrisey Jr. of Orlando, Florida, passed away peacefully on September 9, 2014, comforted by his wife. "Bud' was 97 years old, and is survived by his wife Margaret, daughter Janet, two sons John and Bill, seven grandchildren, and eight great grandchildren.

A retired army officer, he fought in World War II and the Korean War, earning twp Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart.

Bud loved his family, his fishing, and a good poker game. He was a constant in his family's life, always supportive and encouraging them to be their best. The love Bud had for his grandchildren and great-grandchildren assures that his legacy will live on.

Mosley, Raymond F. Sr.

Raymond F. Mosley, Sr., 82, of Campobello, South Carolina, passed away on August 24, 2014. He was the son of the late Charles Hubert and Louise Finch Mosley and husband of Elizabeth Newman 'Dolly' Mosley.

He was a member of Blue Ridge Baptist Church, was a paint contractor for 44 years, and an avid hunter and fisherman. He served with the 57th Field Artillery Battalion in Korea while serving in the US Army, and was one of the Chosen Few who fought in the historic Chosin Reservoir campaign.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Ray Mosley, Jr. of Inman and Scott Mosley of Lancaster; a brother, J.L. Mosley; three sisters, Viola Burns, Emma Ravan and Avalon Medley; three grandchildren, Jason Mosley, Caleb Mosley and Holly Reid; and a great-grandson, Ian Mosley.  He was predeceased by brothers and sisters, Wesley Mosley, Jim Mosley, Elizabeth Poteat, Muriel Oliver, and Ethel Sloan.

The family received friends at Petty Funeral Home and then funeral services conducted by Rev. Reggie Parker followed at 2:00 PM in the funeral home chapel. Burial was in Evergreen Memorial Gardens.

Memorials may be made to Hospice of the Carolina Foothills, 130 Forest Glen Drive, Columbus, NC 28722 or to Blue Ridge Baptist Church, 330 Oak Grove Road, Landrum, SC 29356.

Mossman, Dallas Wayne "Red" Jr.

Dallas Wayne "Red" Mossman, Jr. died July 17, 2015 in Saginaw, Michigan.  He is buried in the Montrose Cemetery, Montrose, Michigan.

Mr. Mossman was born October 21, 1928 in Flint, Michigan, a child of Elijah and Leona Powell Mossman.  He married Constance Ruth "Connie" Dupont (1931-1998) on December 10, 1955.  Mr. Mossman served in the US Army from 1946-1948 and from 1950–1954. He was taken prisoner during the Korean War in May 1951 and held in captivity until he was released to freedom in August 1953. Dallas received a Purple Heart, along with several other medals.

Dallas was a truck driver with Anchor Motor Freight, retiring from Complete Auto Transit. He was a lifetime member of the American Legion, VFW, Eagles and the ex-Korean POW's. Dallas enjoyed golfing, bowling, fishing and traveling.

He was also preceded in death by his wife Connie; daughter, Sandra Lynne (1956-1993); and siblings Gerald, Russell, Audrey, Madalyn and Francis.

Mosson, John Glen

John Glen Mosson, 82, of rural Penfield, Illinois, passed away January 15, 2014 in Urbana.  Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, January 19, 2014 at Lux Memorial Chapel, 1551 E. Grove, Rantoul, Illinois.  Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday, January 20, at the funeral home.  Burial will follow in St. Lawrence Cemetery, Penfield.

John was born October 14, 1931, in Ellsworth, the son of Lawrence and Helen Neal Mosson.  He married RoseMary Early on September 27, 1958, in Penfield.

Survivors innclude his wife, RoseMary; sons, Alan (Marty) Rasmussen of Penfield and Tim (Nancy Leath) Rasmussen of Gifford; daughters, Coletta (Steve) Grussing of Effingham and Helen Mosson of Rantoul; nine grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren; and two sisters, Donna of Florida and Darlene of Arizona. His parents, infantry daughter, three brothers and four sisters preceded him in death.

John served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1952 to 1957 during the Korean War.  Following his service, he worked at the University of Illinois as a construction laborer for over 30 years and he also farmed north of Penfield.

John loved spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  He enjoyed hunting and fishing and was an active member of the Penfield I&I Antique Tractor Club.

In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, donations can be made to the Champaign County, Illinois Historical Society in John's name.

Moultrie, Mary Lucy

Mary Lucy Moultrie, age 97, Deltona, Florida. Born April 30, 1914 went to heaven on November 4, 2011. Mary lived most of her life in Woodbury, Georgia. She became a U.S. Army nurse and served her country during World War II and the Korean War. In 1942, she was stationed on the island of Corregidor. She and 12 other nurses escaped the island aboard the U.S.S. Spearfish just before the island fell to the Japanese. She rose to the rank of Major before retiring from service in the Army. She remained a nurse by trade until her retirement. Mary was predeceased by her parents, Jeptha and Elizabeth Walton Moultrie, four brothers and three sisters. She is survived by four nephews and six nieces and many more family members who loved her. She is also survived by her extended family and friends at Water's Edge Assisted Living Center, Deltona, Florida. Viewing to be held on Thursday, November 10, at Smith-Steele-Meadows Funeral Home, Woodbury, Georgia from 6-8pm. Mary will be laid to rest on Veteran's Day, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 11am in the Woodbury Cemetery, Woodbury, Georgia.

Mudd, Dr. Richard Dyer

Dr. Richard Dyer Mudd, 101, who spent 80 years of his life fighting to clear the name of his grandfather, died May 21, 2002, of respiratory failure at his home in Saginaw. His grandfather was Samuel A. Mudd, the country doctor sentenced to life in prison after setting the leg of John Wilkes Booth, assassin of President Abraham Lincoln. Unfortunately, Richard Mudd didn't live long enough to see Samuel Mudd exonerated.

He was born at home January 24, 1901, one of the four children of Dr. Thomas and Mary Elizabeth Hartigan Mudd of the Anacostia section of Washington, D.C. He graduated from Gonzaga College High School and earned four degrees (BA, MA, PhD, and MD) at Georgetown University. During his last year in medical school he interned at Tuberculosis Hospital in Washington. After graduation he joined the staff of Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. It was there he met a nurse from Nebraska, Rose Marie Krummack, and married her on June 20, 1928 in Ravenna, Nebraska.

In May 1928 he ventured into industrial medicine, a virgin field at that time, and was appointed physician for Ternstedt Manufacturing Company. He was associated with other General Motors plants, including Fleetwood Body Corporation, Fisher Body and the Chevrolet Division in Cincinnati. In 1936 he was transferred to Saginaw as Medical Director of Chevrolet-Grey Iron Foundry and two other divisions of Chevrolet.

His military career dates to his days in ROTC at Georgetown. In 1926 he was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Army Medical Corps and he continued to serve in the reserves, took courses in aviation medicine, and served on active duty during World War II and the Korean War. He retired from the service in 1966 as a lieutenant colonel colonel in the Air Force, and was awarded the Legion of Merit.

For 30 years following retirement he gave physicals for FAA and Coast Guard pilots, substituted for Saginaw area physicians, served on the consulting staff of several Saginaw hospitals, was active with the Saginaw Medical Society, and served on boards and committees in such fields as public health and industrial medicine. He founded the Saginaw County Medical Society Bulletin and continued as contributing editor until well into his 90's. He is known as the Father of Saginaw Industrial Medicine.

As a young man he began the crusade to clear his grandfather. He made trips to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas where Dr. Mudd was imprisoned, and he traveled throughout the country, and beyond, speaking on the assassination and Sam Mudd, petitioning Presidents and Congressmen, giving interviews, appearing on such shows as Good Morning America and To Tell The Truth. In 1992 the case of Dr. Samuel Mudd was heard at the Pentagon, and again in District Court in Washington in 1998. In 2002 the case went before the Court of Appeals where it is today. In the 1930's Richard Mudd took on the genealogy of the Mudd family. In 1951 the first of four editions of The Mudd Family of the United States was published. He also published six editions of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd and His Descendants. In his home office he has thousands of files on the Mudds and on the Lincoln assassination.

He has had a lifelong love of exercise, particularly handball which he played wherever he traveled, but especially at the YMCA in Saginaw. He finally brought his handball gear home from the Y when he was 90 but his spirit lives on in the annual Dr. Richard D. Mudd Handball Open at the YMCA in November. He has been an active member, and sometimes president of a number of organizations, including the Saginaw Hall of Fame, Saginaw Historical Society, Saginaw YMCA, Reserve Officers Association, St. Mary Cathedral and many other medical, historical, military, and religious organizations.

In 1985 Saginaw Valley State College conferred on him the degree Doctor of Humanities. Georgetown University named him Doctor of Humane Letters and Gonzaga College High School presented him the coveted Gonzaga Medal. In 1994 the Hoyt Public Library dedicated its Dr. Richard D. Mudd Lincoln Collection, which includes about 750 books from his private library. In 1995 the Michigan State Medical Society named him Doctor of the Year.

His wife Rose passed away in 1998, one day after their 70th wedding anniversary, and his son, Lt. Col. Joseph F. Mudd, was killed in a helicopter accident in Korea in 1973. Survivors include six children and their spouses: Mary and John McHale, of Washington, D.C.; Richard and Marilyn Mudd, of San Antonio; Rosemary Mudd, of Satellite Beach, Fla.; Johanna and Frank Vargas, Rose Marie and John Nickodemus, Stella and George Thelen, and Thomas B. Mudd, all of Saginaw. He had 35 grandchildren and 58 great-grandchildren. Mass of Christian

Burial will take place 11:00 a.m. Saturday, May 25, 2002 at St. Mary Cathedral, 615 Hoyt St. Rev. Ronald F. Wagner will officiate with entombment in Mt. Olivet Mausoleum. A military service will be conducted by American Legion Post #439. Friends may call at the Deisler Funeral Home, 2233 Hemmeter Rd. (off State) on Friday from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. A prayer service will take place 7:00 p.m. on Friday. Dr. Mudd will lie in state at the church on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until the time of Mass. In lieu of flowers those planning an expression of sympathy may wish to consider memorials to St. Mary Cathedral, Heartland Hospice or the Saginaw Community Foundation, in care of the Mudd Family Historic Preservation Fund.

Mulcahey, Vincent D.

Vincent D. Mulcahey, 79, passed away peacefully at Champaign-Urbana Rehab in Savoy, Illinois, surrounded by his children, on December 26, 2013.  The funeral service will be at 10 a.m. Monday, December 30, 2013 at St. Matthew catholic church, 1303 Lincolnshire, in Champaign.  Burial will be at St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery in Bongard, Illinois.

Vincent was born in Allerton, Illinois, on May 20, 1934, to Edward and Ruth Mulcahey.  He married Dorothy June Ramsay on August 8, 1965.  They shared more than 42 years of marriage.

He is survived by his children, Joseph Mulcahey of Dunlap, Illinois, John Mulcahey of LeRoy, Illinois, Mrs. Chris (Connie) Woodford of Geneva, Illinois, Mrs. John (Julia) Hansen of Champaign, Mary Mulcahey of Urbana and Mrs. Sam (Martha) Stearns of Bloomington, Illinois.  He is also survived by 16 grandchildren; sister, Mrs. Bud (Jean) Kaufman; sisters-in-law, Patricia Mulcahey, Kathleen Vancauwelaert, and Nancy Ramsay; and numerous nieces and nephews.  He was preceded in death by his wife Dorothy, his parents, and brothers Edward, Leo and Francis Mulcahey.

Vince attended Allerton High School, St. Bede Academy in LaSalle-Peru, and was a graduate of Schlarman High School.  He served in the Army during the Korean War.

After Korea, he returned to the family farm in Allerton.  He spent many years farming with his brother Edward.  In 1969, Vince and Dorothy oved their family to Champaign.  He retired in 1999, after working more than 30 years, from the University of Illinois, where he had worked at the Water Station and the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts.

Vincent was a devoted member of St. Matthew Catholic Church.  He attended daily Mass and found peace praying in the church's adoration chapel for many years.  He had a special devotion to Mary, Our Blessed Mother.  He fulfilled a dream of visiting holy sites in Lourdes, France and Assisi and Rome, Italy, in October 2010.

Vince spent many years coaching Little League and volunteering for his church and local men's shelters.  He also enjoyed playing cards and watching a good game.  Vince loved being surrounded by his family, spending time with his grandchildren and attending their games and activities.  In addition to his family, Vincent loved the Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bears, Notre Dame football and everything Irish.  His favorite day of the year was St. Patrick's Day.

In lieu of expressions of sympathy, please make a donation in Vince's name to either St. Matthew Catholic Church, 1303 Lincolnshire Drive, Champaign, Illinois 61821 or Schlarman Academy, Development Office, 2112 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832.

Mullens, James George "Moon"

Huntsville — James George "Moon" Mullens was born Oct. 8, 1918, and passed away on June 16, 2010, at the age of 91.

He is survived by his son, Ronnie Mullens of Baytown; former wife, Bernice Pumphrey Mullens of Houston; sister, Nina Wotipka of Highlands; brother, Neal Morris Mullens and wife Mildred of Huntsville; two granddaughters, Tracie Mullens and Tahnee Cornelius (husband Kyle) of Baytown; four great-grandchildren, Cody Mullens, Cole Mullens, Baylee Cornelius and Lawson Cornelius all of Baytown; and a number of nieces and nephews.

George was a member of Baytown (formerly Goose Creek) Masonic Lodge for 35 years. He was in the National Guard in 1941, and when war broke out, and the National Guard was turned over to the Army, Mullens served until the war was won in 1945. He then joined the Reserves in 1945 and served in the Korean War from 1951 until the war was over. He was a Master Sergeant and received an Honorable Discharge.

After his service to the military, George went into the Exxon service station business in Baytown, working in that field for approximately 40 years before retiring and moving to Huntsville. George was a member of Calvary Baptist Church. He loved his church and his church friends and also loved his friends at the Senior Center, where he played dominoes.

A memorial service was held at Calvary Baptist Church on FM 190, Huntsville, TX at 2 p.m. Thursday, June 24, 2010.

Mulligan, Dean E.

Dean E. Mulligan, 82, of Tuscola, Illinois, passed away at 3:52 a.m. Thursday (Sept. 29, 2011) at his residence surrounded by his family. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Monday, Oct. 3, at the Immanuel Lutheran Church, 600 E. Northline Road, Tuscola, with the Rev. Jason Braaten officiating. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 2, at the Hilligoss Shrader Funeral Home, 705 S. Main Street, Tuscola. Graveside services with military rites accorded will be held at 3 p.m. Monday, Oct. 3, at the Gridley Cemetery, Gridley.

Mr. Mulligan was born on Jan. 26, 1929, in Gridley, the son of Edward and Mary Kent Mulligan. He married Joan Wright on June 5, 1955, in Chenoa. She survives. Other survivors include his children, Cheryl (Dave) Bozarth of Tuscola, Jody (Mark) Furlong of Milwaukee, Wis., Terry Mulligan of Kelso, Wash., and Mindy Mulligan of Portland, Ore.; five grandchildren, Jordan Bozarth, Justin (Aja) Bozarth, Ryan Furlong, Lauren Furlong and Caitlin Furlong; one great-granddaughter, Isabel Bozarth; brother, Ronald Mulligan of Marysville, Calif.; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, sister and brother-in-law, Eileen and Lyle Todd.

Dean was the manager of Tuscola Cooperative Grain Company for eight years before starting with Principal Life Insurance Company. He was with the agency for 40 plus years, retiring in 2003.

He was an active member of Immanuel Lutheran Church of Tuscola, where he served as an Elder and on various boards and committees. He was a member of both the Tuscola Rotary Club and Gridley VFW. He was also a past Tuscola city council member. He was a longtime supporter of his children and grandchildren's high school and college activities and events.

Dean served his country as a member of the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Dean went to Korea as a buck private and through battlefield promotions was honorably discharged as a sergeant first class. He received numerous commendations and medals. He was a survivor of Outpost Harry, which was a nine-day battle in which the defenders of Outpost Harry were outnumbered by the Chinese 30 to 1. Throughout the bitter battle, hand-to-hand fighting ensued in the trenches surrounding the Outpost. For the first time in the annals of U.S. military history, five rifle companies received the prestigious Distinguished Unit Citation for the outstanding performance of their shared mission.

Memorial donations are suggested to the Society for Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, 11350 McCormick Road, Executive Plaza III, Suite 906, Hunt Valley, MD 21031, Immanuel Lutheran Church of Tuscola, 600 E. Northline Road., Tuscola, IL 61953 or Provena Hospice Group, 1499 W. Park, Urbana, IL 61801.

Close this window

© 2002-2016 Korean War Educator. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of material is prohibited.

- Contact Webmaster with questions or comments related to web site layout.
- Contact Lynnita for Korean War questions or similar informational issues.
- Website address:

Hit Counter